Mythic Keystone Dungeon Rearchitecture

You may have noticed that Mythic Keystone Dungeon rankings have disappeared. I am in the process of doing a complete re-architecture of Mythic Keystone Dungeons in order to stop them from consuming vast amounts of computing bandwidth and database storage. After reaching a 4th partition with giant tables, I needed to take action to simplify these rankings so that they stop being the bulk of work done by various jobs like statistics, performance, checkpoint, and historical computations.

To explain what I plan on doing, I should outline how raids work now. Right now raids such as Antorus have a concept of:

(1) Partition - A partition that separates rankings based off new patches that contain significant class changes. For example, Nighthold has a total of 3 partitions. A partition is like a huge global separator, and everything else on the site will compute for each partition (until one is finally frozen). For example, you have separate statistics, historical data, rankings, checkpoint data, etc. for each partition.

(2) Brackets - A bracket is a narrower range of rankings or statistics. The more brackets you have, the longer things take to export/compute etc. A bracket for raids is based off item level ranges in buckets of 3.

Old Mythic+ Architecture

The old Mythic+ model made each keystone level into a partition. This meant that every single level computed all of the information such as statistics, historical data, etc. so all the work is done like 30x times. The old Mythic+ model also used affix combinations for brackets, and this meant quite a few brackets being computed per level.

It is this explosion of keystone level * affix combo that has proved to be untenable.

Also, because I overloaded keystone level into partitions, when the time came to actually partition Mythic+ rankings by season, I had no choice but to make entirely new bosses with hacked ids, i.e., right now there are four Black Rook Hold bosses.

New Mythic+ Architecture

The new model is going to dump affixes from computation. There will be no individualized rankings or statistics based off affix combo any longer.

In the new model, the partitions will represent the four Mythic+ seasons that have occurred so far.

The brackets will be keystone levels.

Rankings will be global and cross all levels. This means that I don’t care if you had the greatest level 4 Mythic Dungeon run ever. You’re going to get a grey ranking because a keystone level of 4 is at the low end of Mythic Dungeon runs.

Under Construction!

You’re going to see some strange UI results for a while as I build out everything. You may see ranks with crazy odd values and/or things that make no sense. Just consider this testing; none of it is real yet.

1 Like

As this re-architecture proceeds, I have a few other improvements in mind:

(1) I’m going to start computing scores for Mythic+ dungeons. This score will be somewhat similar to wowprogress and raider.io scores, i.e., scaling off keystone level, and then giving you a bit of a bonus if you’re on-time.

(2) This score is what will be used for “All Stars” for Mythic+, i.e., you will end up with a Mythic+ score similar to other sites.

(3) Eventually I will start scraping the realm leaderboards and bring in those scores without you having to upload logs. I’ll wait on that until I’m sure everything is working.

(4) The “speed” rank is going to start factoring in death penalty, i.e., 5 seconds per death.

(5) Unlike raids, I’m going to allow a player to have a best rank for every affix combo, so a player will be allowed to appear multiple times in a global ranking list. This also ensures that you can filter to specific affix combos and have plenty of rankings to look at.