Logs are ranking me as a Fury when I'm tanking

Is there any way for you to swap my parse or is globally determined?

Iā€™m also considered as fury every week, when tanking domo. Iā€™m actually the main tank having aggro of the focus target and I even taunt off of the other warriors, when I take over.

This week I took the 2nd most damage and 3rd most meele damage and am considered as a damage dealerā€¦ Only the tank having major domo was considered as a tank.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Whb6NGz4v389JmAT#fight=71&type=damage-taken

considering this really affects the allstar ranking, can you change something about the used heuristic? This really doesnā€™t make sense. Maybe also add taunts to the heuristic? A taunt explicitly means ā€œI want to tank!ā€

I did 7 taunts at domo and the tank of the boss also taunts a lot. Usually non-tanks taunt very rarely, so maybe add taunts as a bonus to the heuristic. E.g. as an imaginary 10% meele hits taken on top (after the actual percentage calculations). If I actually took 20% of meele hits, but taunted 3 times in a fight, I will be considered having taken 50% of meele hits and counted as a tank, because Iā€™m over the threshold. This will also help in fights with a lot of aggro ping-pong (currently Annihilator trash, Shazzrah-gone-wrong or Ragnaros) or many tanks (e.g. the taunt heuristic would correctly flag all 8 tanks on the four horsemen). Using taunts will also correctly identify the off-tanks on BWL bosses that only taunt the knock back. Further having taunts just as a ~10% addition to pass the heuristics tank threshold, will avoid DPS being flagged as tanks, if they just taunted a single time to help out for a few seconds on an add (and if they do that multiple times, they shouldnā€™t complain about being considered a tank).

Or maybe even better, to avoid intentionally using taunts to be ranked as a tank (especially on taunt immune bosses), rather reduce the threshold necessary to become a tank for every casted taunt by 10% until a lower limit of at least ~8% ā€œtank_thresholdā€ (so 8 tanks at four horsemen can still all be counted correctly even with fluctuations). The new formula would be something like spec = tank if current_heuristic > max(0.08, (tank_threshold - 0.1 * taunts_cast))

Adding to this. The tank on majordomo took 49 meele hit casts of which 41 hit. I took 49 meele hit casts of which 34 hit. I took 23% of casts and 21,5% of hits. Not sure why your heuristic thinks Iā€™m a dps there, but considers the majordomo warrior as a tank.

There also seems to be a bug on the misses of the major domo tank (Kolamon). 49 casts and 41 hits, but it says he parried 8, dodged 4 and was missed 8 times. That doesnā€™t add up. Looking on me, 15 miss/parry/dodge with 49 to 34 adds up perfectly.

Yeah, Domoā€™s swing events arenā€™t being logged sometimes. Seems to be a bug on Blizzardā€™s end.

I could experiment with making taunting apply a bonus %. Thatā€™s a good idea.

Reading through this I just wanted to add as well, Iā€™m Fury/Prot MT for Raid 2 and I am considered Fury more-so than Prot in the logs.

I think using taunt to help determine tanks will improve this a lot, maybe even using both revenge/taunt as an identifier will help improve the accuracy of identifying the tanks/dps.

Yeah Iā€™ll experiment with taunt and revenge weighting.

Can you add Maul/swipe to that list? I think if someone does more than 2-3 mauls or swipes they are likely tanking. For druid it seems much easier since we have to use bear form to tank. I wouldnā€™t use bear form tho cause its not always cast during the fight. A lot of the time it is used before. But maul and swipe are for sure just tanking abilities.

Hey, Same here - got Ranked as Tank and have no idea why.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VZQXrhawpMjtHy4g#fight=22&type=damage-done

Feel free to use the log for tests & rerun.

You were ranked as tank, because you were ā€œactivelyā€ tanking one of the adds. It sucks that this screws up tank rankings, but when you identify tanks by taking meele hits this looks correct.

@Townmedic i donā€™t think maul is a clear indicator that youā€™re tanking. itā€™s just you pressed that spell. E.g. you would not want to rank a druid as tank, because he swiped a few times on Onyxia welps. The thing with taunt/growl is, it actually means you actively tank the mob for a minimum amount of time. Itā€™s a hard indicator for tanking in contrast to soft indicators like attack spells used.

Yeah I think Iā€™m going to start with taunt/growl and see how much that improves things.

1 Like

Yeah that would be a huge help. If this can get fixed it be a consistently in first or second in the guild with my rankings. but when it counts me as feral dps on bosses like garr and domo it tanks my averages. Its been happening for a while. I wont be in cat the entire fight ill be in bear tanking the adds for the entirety of the fight yet it logs me as feral dps and i end up getting two reallly low rankings like 30-40 in spots were i should be getting 70+ easily

I have a completely new idea for this that I think might work much better. It will require help from the community though.

The basic idea is to categorize all casts warriors do as ā€œtankā€ or ā€œdps/otherā€, and only if a majority of your casts are ā€œtankā€ casts, then you will be a tank.

What that means is that I need every single cast that should be considered more likely to be used by a tank than a healer.

Examples would be
Mocking Blow
Revenge
Taunt
Heroic Strike
Defensive Stance
Demoralizing Shout
Sunder Armor

Then for bear I think itā€™s just looking for Growl, Maul, Swipe, i.e., bear abilities as a majority of casts.

Also need someone to fill in Prot Paladin.

Let me know if Iā€™m missing any casts.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a good idea to categorize tanks. Heroic strike is used as much by tanks as by damage dealers and will be used for nearly every swing the more we aproach better gear. Both try to use Bloodthirst on cooldown. That leaves Whirld vs Sunder Armor + Revenge to differentiate.

This is a damage warrior at Ragnaros:
https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Whb6NGz4v389JmAT#fight=75&type=casts&source=120
(notice he does 1 sunder armor to reach 5 stacks earlier)

and this is me:
https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Whb6NGz4v389JmAT#fight=75&type=casts&source=119

I did considerably more sunder armor, but the majority of my spells were still ā€œdpsā€ spells, because they generate the most threat and thatā€™s the most important metrics for tanks in classic. The only clear indicator that I was tanking is that I did cast Revenge, which is only possible in Defstance and after I avoided an attack. I did also cast several taunts due to Ragnaros aggrowhipe mechanic, whereas the damage dealer did not cast taunts.

I still think your hits taken approach is a good heuristic that can be improved by reducing the tank threshold by weighing in certain casts. And adding some lower bound to this avoids intentionally abusing it, but still allows for all 8 tanks at four horsemen to be counted as tanks. For Warriors the best spells for weighing are taunt and revenge, because one means ā€œI want to tank!ā€ and the other one is only castable in defstance, after you avoided an attack, which you only cast when you actually tank, not when you overaggro. If a warrior had 2 taunts or 2 revenge casts in a fight, itā€™s a VERY strong indicator that he is a tank. If he also took a certain amount of meele hits, that would justify considering him a tank. Non-tanks donā€™t taunt or cast Revenge.

For a druid that would be growl and probably maul. I can see non-tank druids swiping on ocassion, but not really mauling.

Paladins are screwed :smiley:

Edit: in the case of warriors, you could still estimate tanks based on time in stance. If you donā€™t see the stance, because a warrior hasnā€™t switched it during a fight, you can infer the stance:

if stance_not_present
  if revenge > 0 || taunt > 0
    stance = def
  elseif overpower > 0
    stance = battle
   elseif  whirlwind > 0 || beserker_rage > 0
    stance = berserker

if you see a single stance switch, you know the exact stance for the full duration of the fight. 50% def stance = tank. if you still canā€™t make any stance choice, I would probably consider him a dps or fall back to a high %-age of meele hits takenā€¦ not casting a single taunt or revenge while actively tanking in def stance, means he didnā€™t do much tanking ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

same principal can be used for druids I think.

Do you plan to split warriors into prot, fury/prot, fury? Would probly help the prot guys feel like they arenā€™t wasting their time.

I thought about it again and I think improving the stance/form tracking for warrios and druids would yield the best result. In case of druids itā€™s very reliable (Maul and swipe can only be cast in bear form and are cast all the time, healing/damage spells canā€™t be cast while shapeshifted). In case of warriors it should be reliable enough and definitely better than currently. It doesnā€™t work for Paladins, so I would fall back to the % meele hits taken heuristic.

Stance tracking can work like this (pseudo code):

# beginning of fight:
stance = unknown
stance_activated_timer = 0

if stance locked ability is casted, set stance = ability_stance, don't update timer
if Rend is casted and stance still unknown, set stance = battle_def
if HamString is casted and stance battle_def, set stance = battle

if stance changes, use combat log

(edit removed the stance change idea, as a stance change shows the previous stance in the combat log)

If you want help and there is an option to contribute actual code, drop me a pm

So would need to know all stance locked abilities and all their ranks.

here is a list for warriors (spellids from classic.wowhead.com):

Battlestance locked:

Overpower
rank1 = 7384
rank2 = 7887
rank3 = 11584
rank4 = 11585
Charge
rank1 = 100
rank2 = 6178
rank3 = 11578
Thunder Clap
rank1 = 6343
rank2 = 8198
rank3 = 8204
rank4 = 8205
rank5 = 11580
rank6 = 11581
Mocking Blow
rank1 = 694
rank2 = 7400
rank3 = 7402
rank4 = 20559
rank5 = 20560
Retaliation
rank1 = 20230
Sweeping Strikes
rank1 = 12292

Defensive Stance locked:

Taunt
rank1 = 355
Disarm
rank1 = 676
Revenge
rank1 = 6572
rank2 = 6574
rank3 = 7379
rank4 = 11600
rank5 = 11601
rank6 = 25288
Shield Block
rank1 = 2565
Shield Wall
rank1 = 871

Berserker stance locked

Intercept
rank1 = 20252
rank2 = 20617
rank3 = 20616
Whirlwind
rank1 = 1680
Berserker Rage
rank1 = 18499
Recklessness
rank1 = 1719
Pummel
rank1 = 6552
rank2 = 6554

Battle/berserker locked:

Hamstring
rank1 = 1715
rank2 = 7372
rank3 = 7373
Execute
rank1 = 5308
rank2 = 20658
rank3 = 20660
rank4 = 20661
rank5 = 20662

Battle/defense locked:

Rend
rank1 = 772
rank2 = 6546
rank3 = 6547
rank4 = 6548
rank5 = 11572
rank6 = 11573
rank7 = 11574
Shield Bash
rank1 = 72
rank2 = 1671
rank3 = 1672

that should be all.

in nearly all fights you should see a whirlwind from a dps warrior and in basically all fights a warrior actively tanks you should see a tank cast either revenge (highest threat per rage skill), shield block or taunt.
If you canā€™t infer stance, you could still fallback to the current heuristic of hits taken. Would be an interesting statistic to see how often that actually is a problem. I could think of a very short fight like Lucifron, where I donā€™t get the chance to cast Revenge.

edit: I also just checked and wasnā€™t aware, that when I switch stance, you actually see my previous stance in the combatlog. So this technique is only necessary for fights with absolutely no stance change.

Combatlog for stance change looks like this:

1/19 20:35:31.783  SPELL_AURA_REMOVED,Player-4763-02210749,"Ascarx-Heartstriker",0x511,0x0,Player-4763-02210749,"Ascarx-Heartstriker",0x511,0x0,2457,"Battle Stance",0x1,BUFF
1/19 20:35:31.783  SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,Player-4763-02210749,"Ascarx-Heartstriker",0x511,0x0,Player-4763-02210749,"Ascarx-Heartstriker",0x511,0x0,71,"Defensive Stance",0x1,BUFF

this means the algorithm from earlier becomes simpler and the ability guessing of stance can be removed the moment once an actual stance change occurs.

Hi, I also got flagged as tank when im fury. This never happenned to me, yesterday was the first time, and had this problem on 2 bosses.

Lucifron: https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q4MzpGTVbB1gjFYd#fight=10&type=damage-done
Garr: https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q4MzpGTVbB1gjFYd#fight=31&type=damage-done

I guess itā€™s because of the damage taken, but it wasnt that much on Luci, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got more dmg taken %, but I wasnt flagged as tank.

And the Garr log just makes me cryā€¦ was my best kill ever, I doubled my previous best kill, but it was all for nothing :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

ironically you have the worlds 4th best tank log now :wink:

So I guess next question is if we use Def Stance for Warrior and Bear Form for druid, how much % of the fight in that stance should cause you to be considered a tank?

When I tank, Iā€™m definitely not Def Stance 100% of the time. Sometimes tanks need to go Battle Stance to Mocking Blow, or Berserker Stance for Intercept/Berserker Rage. But even these are very uncommon/situational in MC.

Iā€™d say when I tank in Molten Core, most fights is D stance 99% of the time.
When I DPS in Molten Core its almost always 0%.

I think the issue is going to be how often do Off-Tanks spend in D stance? Take Majordomo for example, where multiple off tanks are used for the adds, if the threshold for classifying someone as ā€œtankā€ is ā€œDefensive Stance for 80% of the fight,ā€ then only the LAST off-tank who is tanking the adds is going to be a ā€œtank.ā€ If, however, being in D stance for 20% of the fight, you might catch all of the OTā€™s as ā€œtankā€ spec. But, if some Fury pulls agro, panics, and swaps to D stance on a short encounter (Shazzrah, Lucifron), even if its a couple of seconds, they might be categorized as ā€œTank.ā€

It depends how many people you want to classify as a ā€œTank.ā€ Do you want players who tank adds for brief amounts of times in encounters to be ā€œTanks?ā€ (If so, use 10%-20% of encounter spent D stance) Or do you only want MT? (50%+ of encounter D stance)