6 DPS/1 Tank/1 Healer and other cheese

Exploiting load times to have 8 enhanced balances is a thing now: https://twitter.com/AriaEbenfalls/status/802753038049910784

I don’t think there is a rule that’s against this in fflogs submissions? I definitely don’t want to compete with that exploit…

Why hare you even arguing in this topic :open_mouth:

We are just here to share opinions and suggestions for the better, it’s even perfectly fine not to have the same opinion :confused:

However I got lost with all these posts…I’ll try to “recap”

Basically if I got it right, most of the ppl here agrees on these things:

1. Separate “Regular Comp” and “Irregular Comp”

2. A regular comp is considered a : 2 tanks, 2 healers, 4 dps one. No restrictions on singular jobs inside the roles (or at most -> max 2 of the same job)

3. Default ranking page should be "Standard Composition -> Guild/Static Speed " to try to boost the most “fair” ranking right now

Hope I got these right, let’s try to concretize ideas in something plain and simple then suggest it to Kihra for implementing (assuming he shares the opinion)

Cheers

Thanks Marik. You summarized things nicely. I think standard composition should be defined as 2 tanks, 2 healers and 4 DPS, and no more than 2 of the same job.

I am leaning towards simply partitioning all unfrozen 8-man rankings into Regular and Irregular, so they just wouldn’t even be competing with one another any longer.

I think once we take this step, then additional steps can be taken for the Regular rankings only to curb boosting, e.g., don’t count adds if needed, limit the amount of uptime that a single player can have of particular buffs, etc.

1 Like

Excluding adds is pretty sketchy this tier. I can’t think of any adds/targetable enemies that aren’t real damage in Creator savage. Same goes for Sophia ex. Sure, people can kill the adds in inefficient ways to boost a particular person, but it’s still real damage. There were some targets that probably should have been excluded in Gordias and Midas, for sure, but the only ones that ever became excluded were the original Faust adds.

1 Like

One feature I have in WoW (but not here) is Weighted DPS, i.e., instead of boss DPS the ranking actually assigns weights to mobs. You can basically give adds a sufficiently low weight that they still count but cheesing is devalued. I could bring that to FF (it’s just a separate metric, doesn’t replace normal DPS).

1 Like

This has been implemented. Fights will now be partitioned into standard or non-standard, each with their own speed, execution, dps, hps and all star ranks. You can now compete in both partitions and have all star scores / ranks in both.

In addition, the default view is now static speed.

About 150,000 reports have to be re-crawled, so it will take time for rankings to sort themselves out.

2 Likes

That looks amazing!

Great job :v:

Patron inc!

omg thank you so much :smiley:

Kinda interested to see new changes, but as an all star parser, I would really like you to implement weighted adds. Though this would require a bit of thought and input from other players on amounts, as it’s on a per fight basis.

For example 2 targets such as on A10S/11S deserve a full weight, but the large amount of group mobs in 9S and 12S should have a lesser weight, something like 0.3-0.5. In XIV your aoe potency abilities are strong and become crazy on these, but it’s not really an “efficient” raid-wise plan to save stuff for this, but it becomes pretty mandantory for a “parse” run. I like to look at fflogs as an indicator of how good you are at your job, and with AoE cheese it becomes less of a case. For example, saving Dragonfire Dive in A12S - it becomes 2,000 potency on the 8 adds at 1 minute 20, rather than 250 + ~120 potency when used on the single target boss in your opener. No group in the world was having trouble killing those 8 adds fast in prog, haha.

Plus when people save buffs to increase these large potency actions. It’s very dishonest but obviously creates a large parse number.

Once again this is a case by case thing, I wouldn’t want to devalue doing “objectives” in the raids, just mostly with group aoe cheese and to lessen the strength of cater by singing mana/TP to players using overmuch AoE.

Also things like the floaty balls in A6S and A8S where damage actually did nothing, the ones that hit the middle and exploded and were unable to be killed.

I am happy to do this. I would need a bit of help, though, since I am not raiding in FF this tier, and therefore am not familiar with the fights.

The changes look nice. However, I’m not sure about the default view being static speed for content outside of savage. It seems like an okay change for savage, could go either way. But for the other content that is 99% pugs it seems odd. Of course, you could also say that no one really cares about rankings outside of savage. That much is also mostly true.

Hmmm yeah that’s a good point. Probably not right to call 24-man “Statics” either heh.

This is going to lead to people not wanting to hit adds and creating a whole new problem.

That was fast! Changes are looking good!

While there are still quite a few other hot topics that might need a bit tweaking like balance, job stacking, adds etc. the new changes of today are already the first step into the right direction!

Thank you!

Right, this was discussed in the Real DPS thread here.
It would be extra annoying to encourage people to ignore add mechanics.

Dealing with The Balance is a much bigger issue I’d like to see solved before worrying about who’s hitting what in the fight. Nobody should be taking any DPS numbers very seriously while they are skewed heavily by your AST’s draw RNG and possibly personal card faking. At least other DPS influences are based on reproduceable strategy, instead of just running over and over until your AST gets extra lucky. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The switch to guild speed being the default page is nice.

The other change was unnecessary. If 1-1-6 gets a faster kill time then 2-2-4, that makes it optimal and not “cheese”. Separating kills into “2-2-4” and “not 2-2-4” is creating a safe space for people that don’t want to discover other comps can be better then 2-2-4. Plus there was already a filter to only see 2-2-4 comps if you searched for it.

You can’t clear A9S or A12S without killing the adds, they count for DPS. Who cares if someone gets a trophy parse on the adds in A9S? In A12S, the next set of adds spawn immediately after you kill the current set. Holding AOE to kill adds faster in A12S does contribute to kill speed. There is a “player damage to bosses” filter for a reason.

Because of the potency calculations in this game it would still be a large potency and parse increase to aoe/“overaoe” adds depending on the weights. It would just work against padding and people emphasizing aoe.

Like I said in A12S, it really makes no sense from a player perspective to save DfD for the 8 adds, but with weighting, you change 250 + 125~ = 375 potency from a single target boss opener, that becomes 2,000 on adds. Say the adds were worth 0.4 damage, that would become 800 potency on adds. Still an almost double “parse” increase to save it on adds, but it makes a much smaller difference and only hardcore padders would go for that. Right now that 1,600 potency will make a decent increase in your end parse over an 11 minute kill, which is kinda goofy. Right now I’m pretty sure if you saved your buffs just to fluff A12S aoe on any class and had your team hold a little bit, you’d see a gain over doing a standard opener, which is pretty stupid.

You’d still aoe, doom spike for example would be 160 * ~6 (assuming you miss 2 or 2 are dead) = 960 potency every press. With a .4 weight, that’s 384 potency per button press which is still far above what you can do with single target combos. The same goes for any class that aoes.

For raw objective “adds” like A10S clone and 11S E.D.D., shielding etc., they should be 1x weight as it’s just double dotting and standard DPS. But for eight billion group stuff, aoe potency just gets ridiculous. Look at A9S, any top parse on an aoe class (i.e. not pld) is going to be prioritizing aoe to a ridiculous degree just to pad, when you can basically bane shadowflare and passive GK/decimate/salted aoe and have them die in a good time.

It would just make the logs a lot more balanced and fair. Only thing is it requires a bit of work from the dev and weight input as they don’t play the game. I would never want to devalue aoe, it is something many players are bad at and takes resource management. It’s just a very easy way to pad and fluff parses.

X poster is right though, top parse will always be some fluff and padding etc. But if the website can minimize that, they should do whatever they can to make it more accurate.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!

You can’t really escape AST either way. Seeing as guild speed is the default view now that same card RNG is also a big part of the difference between a #1 speed kill a mediocre run.